Volunteer Position: Yoga Instructor
Location: Saint John Field House
Qualifications and Skills: Current and clear security clearance with vulnerable sector screening. YMCA Certified (or equivalency with the opportunity to challenge the YMCA certification) First Aid/ CPR certified, knowledge of exercise principles and technology, strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of fitness levels in a diverse community.
- Provide Yoga instruction on a regular or substitution basis
- Advise members and participants on program/class procedures and policies, answers questions after each session, assist in performing follow up communications with members as required
- Plan and lead exercise sessions in one or more assigned class streams: Dusty Sneakers, Chair Yoga, Zumba Gold, fall prevention
- Prepare full balanced fitness classes to meet interest and demand of our members and guests; track attendance
- Set up and monitor class equipment and ensure the equipment is returned in good condition
- Volunteer fitness instructors are required to spend time becoming acquainted with the YMCA’s philosophies, facilities, procedures and other volunteers
- Use respectable language at all times
- Well-groomed and appropriately dressed in YMCA Group Fitness Leader Uniform.
- Accept the guidance and decisions from the Supervisor as well as reporting planned or unplanned absence to the Supervisor
- Treat staff, clients and other volunteers of the YMCA of Greater Saint John with respect and dignity and be responsible in the use of the YMCA of Greater Saint John’s resources
- Perform Volunteer responsibilities promptly, reliably and to the best of the Volunteer’s ability
- Adhere to policies and procedures of the YMCA of Greater Saint John.
- Accept and work within the YMCA of Greater Saint John’s Guiding Principles, the Mission Statement as well as the Values of the YMCA of Greater Saint John
- Display appropriate YMCA of Greater Saint John Volunteer identification as required
- Participate in orientation and training programs when required
- Maintain certifications while providing updated certificates, CEC’s and other training for file.
Time Commitment: 1 or more shifts a week
- Mutual understanding and commitment to YMCA Best Practices to deliver exceptional programming to members and participants
- Ongoing opportunity to attend all group fitness classes for personal and professional development in addition to peer support
- Semi-annual group fitness leader in-service to obtain Continuing Education Credits
- Annual Y’s in Motion to obtain Continuing Education Credits (typically in the fall)
- Participation in volunteer activities and events with the Y of Greater Saint John
- Financial support towards licencing fees for specific certifications (for example: Zumba, etc.)
Professional Development: Educational Assistance